User Tag List

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: RPM - Rage's Platform Movement

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the slowdowns, if you're using Windows 10, you'll need to uninstall or at least disable all Xbox apps (you can keep everything related to Xbox controllers though).
    The Xbox app has an streaming feature that slowdown the whole pc actually, it gets noticeable when you keep the pc on for a lot of time.
    This was affecting Fusion games here.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on windows 7. Frameskip in mmf has always done this for me, though.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and about the climbing animation, I made an custom character, it didn't worked well with it. But as you said, it must happen with others as well.

Edit: the issue with the ice block was fixed as you said, but the same happen with the water widget, but I can tweak myself, it's not worth to update the file just for this.
    The skid animation that you implemented works much better also.

Would you create requested paid addons for your engine? Things that you doesn't feel like implementing for free, dollar for each maybe.
    Bacause I really don't know if it would bother you ask for small features.

Things I have in my mind, that I would try myself but wouldn't mind to pay a dollar:
    -Crush injury, with option of instakill.
    -Slope physics: depending on the angle of a slope, the it behave as a conveyer, so the player is pushed down a slope with speed depending on it's angle or preset. An option could be: only get pushed down above an specific angle.
    (This would be interesting in physics objects and rotating platforms for example, also, it could slow down a player going up, and speed up a player going down but not by much)
    -"Buttslide" on slopes: If the player holds down while on a slope, the character should slide down, the speed is based on it's angle or preset.
    -Grabable object widget: An object with physics, that the character can hold on top of the head or in front of the chest, that can be trown upwards while holding up, frontwards when walking or stopped, downwards while on the air.
    (I guess player speed could affect the object throw speed also)
    -Another dash type: walk speed as usual, but when running button is pressed, a counter starts, the player accelerates to run speed, when the counter reaches a determined value the player starts dashing, with is a little faster than running. In this, walking animation is played while walking and running with only animation speed changing, the running animation only happen when the player starts dashing. When the player releases the run button, the counter starts to fall instead of going back to zero instantly, this make the player be able to start dashing again faster then when it starts the running the first time. (I hope you get it)
    -Togglable feature that permits running up a 90 degress wall (sprite gets rotated), when reach the top, the sprite rotate to the normal angle and run as usual.

Smaller features:
    -Only jump to off water if holding up while jumping. Shorter "swin-jump" if nothing pressed, bigger "swin-jump" if holding up.
    -Being pushed up when jumping from a ladder.
    -Free movement ladder.
    -Pushable object widget (weight could change the speed)
    -Variable aerial control speed (Aerial quick turn? Does this already happen? Since there's no friction, it should be faster. I know that aerial control don't exist in real life though haha)

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, when you set the Climbing Frames in the Player Attributes Object (...which in hindsight, should be with the Animation Control object :P I'll have to change that.), are you starting with 0? As in if the animation 16 frames, you would put in 15. If it still doesn't work then I clearly need to re-work how that works entirely. :V

A couple of those things actually existed in some older builds from early 2015 (Crushing and Angle Detection), but I guess I didn't fully understand how to implement them properly. Crushing would sometimes occur if you ran into a wall fast enough (it originally worked by looking for a collision on all sides and an overlap) and Angle Detection would throw off other collisions and didn't work well with edges. Since then though I had changed the collision system to rely more on fastloop positioning (it originally used embedded detectors), so I'm thinking maybe I should give it another try in the future.

I get what you're saying about the dashing. Something similar to SMB3/SMW I presume? Something tells me the "Hold Fire 2 to Dash" type could be manipulated to work like that. Like say for example you hold dash and your XMax increases as usual, while at the same time a counter is going up in your character. When the counter reaches the max the XMax is increased further, then when you let go the counter subtracts and XMax will go back to normal. Presumably you'd want to disable the Running animation until the counter is at max, since by default the Running animation will occur if the character reaches their current XMax while dashing.

I'm thinking what I could do in terms of climbing is add a "Climb Type" value similar to the Dash Type (replacing Climbing Frames in the Player Attributes). Type 1 could be the default Up/Down only, Type 2 is Left/Right Only, and Type 3 could be All Direction climbing. Admittedly that should've been the case from the start, but I dunno what I was thinking. :P

Push/Grab is...something I completely overlooked, whoops! The only thing I could see being an issue is whether or not Pushing could potentially interfere with how Sides Detect works. Might be easier to look for an overlap with the character sprite and maybe manipulate your character's XMax (or maybe make separate Side Detectors just for that). For grabbing, A group does exist for objects that follow the Mask's movements (mainly used for detectors), but that would require multiple objects since as far as I know, you can't add/remove objects from qualifiers during runtime. Would probably be simple enough to play around with objects in the Jump-Thru group/No Collision, but I could see Solid objects being an issue if it overlaps the mask.

Aerial quick turn actually exists in the Yoshi's Island example. The trick is to simply change the Deceleration/Acceleration of the mask directly when it isn't on the ground, then re-load the original values with the Player Attributes object when its on the ground.

Whenever I get some more free time (having 2 jobs suck, which is why this took 2 years to make. ) I'm gonna look into those things a bit more. I've also been debating on whether or not RPM could potentially have its own little "ecosystem", where you could share characters, gadgets, and new widgets and such (I know someone stated they wanted to try making an Inventory widget of sorts). It seems sharing the character files worked fine for everyone, so presumably other objects should work as long as they're coded properly. RPM is still new and isn't really flying off the shelves like that ATM (likely cuz they got their own fancy engine ;P), so that'll have to wait.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Climbing Frames starts as 0, no mather what I enter in there, animation still buggy.

You totally should try again when you get the time! I asked Clickteam to implement a native way to determine if something is being compressed, to know how much force is being applied, but they would only implement to physics objects if they actually implement it at all.
    I'll do a research about how popular platformers detect this, I'll make sure to leave a message if I find anything that could help.

YES, similar to SMB3/SMW. The way you said could actually work pretty similar, I'll give it a try.

It's great to hear about the climbing, and strangelly enough it will help you to not leave a blank alterable value, destiny? xD

Qualifiers could be better... Maybe in Fusion 3? =P
    I'm sure one of us will find an solution to sometime.

Aerial quick turn, I already did something like you did in Yoshi's Island example in another engine, not just for this but also to change the max jump size according to the speed of the character. So it shouldn't be different with your engine.

Well, I would like to have 2 jobs, right now I have no job at all haha
    An ecosystem would be awesome, I hope that your engine get more sales!
    You did an wonderfull job already in this engine, so take your time, I'll literally buy anything you create, I'm already your fan haha
    By "debating" you mean talking with some people or with yourself? I would like to see people's sugestions and ideas
    And what do you mean when you say "that ATM" and "own fancy engine"? @_@

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, if you don't mind are you able to PM me the character/source file? I'm curious as to what's causing that issue. Maybe I can finally get it right for once. :P

I remember seeing some use a "Crusher" type object attached to the character. Like say if a backdrop or other solid object overlaps it, it kills the player. By ATM I mean "at the moment", meaning that its a bit of a slow burner for now. At the very least, I earned enough money to cover the cost of buying Clickteam Fusion during the Steam sale, so everything else is gravy! And I was debating amongst myself about how an RPM ecosystem could work, specifically allowing others to sell/share assets made for RPM. Something like that would be a longs way off, if RPM even makes it to that point. RPM is a bit of a tough sell since I'm aware most seasoned Clickers can make their own platform engine no problem, so I kinda wanted to think more about folks who haven't quite reached that point yet (and with the Humble Bundle, there should be quite a few now :V). Thank you for all of the support though!

Also, I wanted to give a little spotlight to my bud DinnerSonic, as he's currently making a 1:1 re-creation of the Kirby's Adventure movement in RPM.
    https://twitter.com/DinnerSonic/stat...57811733999616

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I literally just imported an active with some animations, right out of the box it didn't worked, so I opened one of your characters in the editor, found that your climbing animation has 4 frames, 2 of them being just a copy of the first and second one.
    Tried the same with my character to see if this was the solution, same result as before, then I tried to change the "Climbing Frames" value, same result. Is code needed to a custom character?

So this crusher type object acts when the character would start to bug, going inside the ground for example... Make sense, when the character start to clip through a solid, there will be a moment that both sides AND the "crusher" type object are touching the obstacle, then it triggers the event.
    I don't know, creating an engine from the scratch can be tricky even to experienced Clickers, I never saw anyone that got the custom movement character to stand and walk on top of physics object like you did.
    Before I get RPM, I was really happy with one unfinished engine called Styrbjorn's Platform engine, because it was so easy to tweak, so stable... BUT, no support to moving platforms D:
    The developer teased it in the documentation, and even released an EXE showing up moving platforms working great, but never released the mfa... Or at least, it's lost forever since any download are broken and everyone that has the mfa has the old version.
    I really hope that some day your engine becomes an start point for many many games, and an ecosystem arise from this!

That's amazing! I really like Kirby games, and it's looking great with RPM!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, did you saw his post on twitter talking about stand on a ground slope?
    The sprite don't visually stand on the slope, because of the square box, any ideia in how to solve this?
    In old games, I guess they consider the whole mask for the ground detection, but for slopes, just only the bottom center pixel as collision with slopes...

Edit: I don't know if you ever saw it, but these are the detectors from Super Mario World:
    Detectors.PNGDetectors 2.PNGdetectors 3.PNG
    Maybe they can help you improve some parts of your engine.
    Here's what some of them do:
    -The red square is where enemies can hit.
    -The + in the middle is the part that detect ladders.
    -There are only one detector at the top, and it has a really good reason: if the top detector don't hit an obstacle the character will not bump his head, but when the top side detector colide with the obstacle that the character would bump his head, but the top side detector hit, the character is pushed out to the side of the obstacle, this make it easy to pass between one block gaps. If the top detector was larger or if there was 2 detectors like the bottom ones, the character would bump his head more often.
    -The bottom side detectors detect when the player hit a wall, just like the top ones. But I really believe that it has something to do with slopes too, the top side ones also... Because there are 4 angles of slopes in SMW, oddly enough they line up with the bottom and side detectors...
    -In the screenshot is hard to see, but there is a black translucent box on top of mario, it is the mask (just like yours), when crouched down you can see that the hitbox become smaller than the mask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may have pinpointed the issue with the climbing animation, as I noticed it was skipping a frame whenever it looped back. Hopefully that should take care of that issue.

On that same token, I made a new update to RPM that now includes (janky) Angle Detection, 3 Climbing Types (Up/Down, Left/Right, and 8-Direction), and some other little fixes. The update is live on Itch.io now, ClickStore version will come sometime later...hopefully nothing broke in the process!

I'll have to research more into that, as I've actually never looked into the inner working on how SMW handles all of its stuff. :V

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! I'll check the update right now!!
    Edit: Your "janky" Angle Detection looks similar to something I've tried, but works a lot better xD
    I managed to make to sprite get closer to the ground while on a slope using the Y distance of both detectors, but it need some work...
    And I saw why "janky" angle detection, it become jumpy on jump-through slopes, is buggy with physics objects and some objects like spikes.

I believe that SMW has a lot to teach, and Yoshi's Island improved some parts of the engine. I'll show you everything I found about how these engines works!

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast