User Tag List

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: RPM - Rage's Platform Movement

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Janky) Sprite Offset while on a Slope
    -------------------------------------------

-I just added an Sprite Y Offset value to the AngleLeft detector
    -It seen to work visually better with the detector's offset at 2 and the Sprite Offset at 8
    -Changed the Mask Setup event, replaced Group.Player Set Position with Set X / Y Position.
    -The Y position uses this expression:
    Range(Y( "Mask" ) + ( Distance(0.0, Y( "AngleLeft" ), 0.0, Y( "AngleRight" )) ), Y( "Mask" ), Y( "Mask" ) + Sprite Offset( "AngleLeft" ))

This works great but has some bugs:
    When the character start to going down on a slope, it visually fall a couple of pixels, looking like it just walked in a "L" shape, it only happens at the tip of the slope.
    I was thinking in using something like an Sprite X Offset, and add a range to it, just to make it only do this while on the tip of the slope.
    Also, because of the bugs of the angle detection, it may be visually jumpy on top of physics objects and some things like Spikes.
    And the most obvious, the mask will not match the sprite, unless something resize it too, or change the shape to match the slope.

Edit: You can also just replace the expression with this, don't need any new value:
    Y( "Mask" ) + ( Distance(0, Y( "AngleLeft" ), 0, Y( "AngleRight" )) / 2 )
    In this case, a middle detector would fix how the sprite start to fly off the ground in the begining of the slope (going up).
    But if there was a middle detector, you could just make the character sprite stick to the middle detector =P

Sugestions on how to make the Angle Detection better:
    -Add an middle detector, so it only would detect a slope if they line up or if the diference between are really small.
    Also, the middle detector would be perfect for the Sprite Offset on a Slope.
    -The side angle detectors could be useful for the Slope Physics at some point.

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I'm glad you brought up that "Range" function, I completely forgot it existed!

With that I managed to create a "deadzone" of about 5 degrees when checking for Jump-Thru (which was causing the "janky"), so it should hopefully keep its angle while on a slope. Not sure about the physics objects however, as that seems to be more about how the pixels come out when its rotating. I could be wrong though. Also the spikes where like that because I forgot to turn off "Use Fine Detection", and also because of how far Detection Limit goes. :P Regardless I uploaded the quickfix to Itch.

Gonna hafta try out that formula though. Normally I would use a sprite that has the hotspot in the center (the mask can be updated to reflect that) so it doesn't leave a gap when it rotates, but I haven't tried physically moving the sprite itself yet.

Also, did you get any different results with the climbing animation?

EDIT: It works pretty damn great actually. Definitely incorporating that function in the next update, thanks dude!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You literally just read my mind!!
    I was thinking in doing this right now, because on jump-through platforms the detectors was going from the actual angle to zero too fast, I'M glad to help YOU! D

Rotating or changing the shape of the mask would fix the issue where the mask don't match the sprite tough.

I'll try the climbing animation and the quick update right now!
    MANY MANY THANKS!! I couldn't help you if this awesome engine didn't exist!

Edit: Wait, found a bug, sometimes the angle detectors don't reset on a flat surface, this make the sprite appear inside the obstacle.
    It appear to happen when the player jumps from a slope directly to a wall with a flat surface bellow, but could be possible that it occours as well with a slope bellow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I just realized the sprite jumps around a bit when it reaches a ledge. That kinda ties in with another problem I had, where the angle would reset if you were on a angled slope (I'd prefer if it stayed the same angle until both detectors where on ground). Think I might revert to the older version on Itch as to not throw off some folks til a solution is out. :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cry :'(
    My sloppy code was to good to be true haha
    But I'm sure you'll find a solution, since this is a nice feature to have.

Edit: Climbing animation works perfectly now. Just need to do that thing with the Climbing Frames.
    Suggestion: Start of Frame -> Set Climbing Frames = Climbing Frames - 1
    This way, the person just need to enter the exact numer of frames the climbing animation has.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I uploaded some old engines that has awesome features, maybe it can help you with more features, bug fixes and other things, I should take a look:

Styrbjorn's Platform Movement, unfinished, but has almost perfect colision detectors, build in a way that the sprite accommodate in the ground and slopes perfectly with the mask matching the change:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B73...ew?usp=sharing

The unreleased version of the Styrbjorn's Platform Movement, when it got moving platforms and more features, it's good to see what was made after the mfa above:

An Sonic Engine, with A LOT of features and gimmicks, it will certainly help you with something:

And I'm pretty sure I have an mfa example that shows an weird but functional way to detect how many pixels of the sprite are colliding with something, this could solve the "crush injury / kill".
    When I find this, I'll also upload and edit the post. I have over a thousand mfa examples that could be useful here.

Edit: Here's the file, I don't know how the **** this works, but works

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, so I think I managed to make a compromise on that Distance thing. I restructured how the Angle Detection works and it seems to work better now. I re-introduced it as a new option in the Engine object called "Sprite Angle Offset", and you can now enable/disable Angle Detection either on a global basis or per object basis (i.e. the Spikes) thru the Engine Object and Attributes object.

Will gives those engines a looksies though. I do remember looking through Sonic Worlds a long time ago and remember not knowing what the anything did lol. Maybe I could decipher a bit better now that I got a bit more experience. :V

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!
    Yeah, I actually have 3 versions of this engine, this is the one with more features, some of them are related with features we've talked about.
    I'll upload more examples as soon I test all the interesting mfa's I have here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank gaud this thread is back!

I was thinking here, couldn't you move the angle detectors to the center of the mask when the mask reach a sudden fall to avoid the bug that happens to physics objects and in other situations?
    The bug that make one detector stay on top of one obstacle and another down bellow in other obstacle.
    I don't know how hard it could be for you, I'm not as experienced as you, would this be possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure why this thread was locked before? Regardless it's back open.

Funny you mention that, while flustering about trying to fix the angles I think I actually had something like that before, but it was overwritten since it wasn't working right at the time. Off the top of my head, you could probably set the Offset in the LeftAngle to be higher when the mask is off the ground, then reset it once its back on the ground.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast