User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ghostwood project (WIP - demo)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ghostwood project (WIP - demo)

Hello clickers,
    this was meant to be an entry for the Sparckman challenge horror contest,
    though I'm still not sure I'll be able to upload the .mfa by the deadline
    plus it may not fully qualify for the contest:
    1 - it's quite heavy on graphics, being 178 mb does it fit the "common sense" guideline?
    2 - I've crammed the main frame in 25 events (at the cost of some very crappy "ghost" AI) but there are literally hundreds of actions in there...

Anyway, this was chance to pull down an old idea I had of a "wood-spirit-encounter" simulation,
    the demo is faster pace than I intended, as I was thinking more of a "wait - loiter - be distracted by other wood situations"
    maybe also get lost, find the path, etc.
    (you may guess which movie was the main inspiration for this )

Get in the woods with your special tools (ghost-camera, spirit detector) and try to take a picture of ghosts,
    then get back to your van - but the special film is expensive, and you have only limited shots!

The idea was creating an atmospheric ride made of waiting times, low visibility,
    fear of the dark and what may lie ahead.

Notable features are the "terrain engine ©" used to display ground
    (a powered version of which will probably make for a next update of P3D)
    and also "3D sprites" - walk around ghosts and trees in full 360 degrees!

Playable demo below:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ickxomcg0b..._demo.zip?dl=0
    (178 MB)

Make sure your speakers are turned on!

Demo version is limited in size, wood is about 4000x4000 pixels, don't get lost in the void!
    Also, the "picture slideshow" at end of game is completely crappy - will have to improve that with some more time.

The application will grab your mouse, press esc to go back to the menu when in game.
    Full gameplay in-app instructions included.

I had lots of fun doing this so I'm almost thinking in a powered commercial version,
    (for few bucks of course...) this would include:

-online multiplayer
    -more special tools (i.e. multiple cameras you can drop around to watch the tombs)
    -more variety in terrain (grass, paths, rivers..)
    -more and different encounters
    -much better AI (including ghost responsiveness to proximity, torchlight etc.)
    -many more wood/ghost sounds
    -a more solid role for the clock
    -(possibly) dawn/dusk
    -almost endless forest (this was the main intended task of the terrain engine)

what do you guys think?

Thank you for your attention

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh very nice!! I like the atmosphere and the sound was just right :-D

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow... very nice. I will never play this since i like to sleep at night lol.

Reminds me of the old game Fatal Frame

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys,
    I'll try to push on the atmosphere still a bit more.
    I'm trying to avoid jumpscares at all, and stay more on the "general uncomfortable feeling"

Never played Fatal Frame, googled a bit, looks frightening
    cool series!

I've hopefully fixed the embedded binary issue
    (unfortunately can't test on another machine now so I'm not 100% sure)
    new file is uploading now at slugspeed at the same dropbox link
    if something goes wrong (wood terrain looks completely flat)
    you can grab the height map file here
    and place it in your C:\ drive

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch the original Halloween and Alien movies. Both of those are loaded with the feeling of dread and they don't have to rely on jumpscares too much.

Halloween has a lot of success by having Mike Myers in many of the shots, just a little bit off the screen or maybe a shadow here or there. Or maybe it's not really him. They do an excellent job. It's a master class of cinematography IMO.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's it, I love the first Halloween!
    (and I'm always re-watching it in loop when autumn comes - watched it yesterday while preparing lunch )
    I'm a big fan of Carpenter movies (Big Trouble in Little China included )

More IT: yeah first alien was also very claustrophobic and scary.

I would like making this wait in the woods interesting,
    but not overloaded with supernatural events (as it is maybe in this demo..)
    so that encounters come sporadically and *theorically* leave some bit of impression more.

Would love like making glimpses of spirits far, leaving the doubt if you seen that or if it was an animal or the wind on trees...
    and push on the "waiting" but also "exploring", with a wide and interesting environment (considering all limitations, of course)
    also with some "mapping - orienteering" in it, so that players can also risk of getting lost.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That terrain engine looks good! Not a fan of horror, as I've stated before, but I watched the video when I realized it was pseudo-3D, since that's something I am a fan of. It helps that the video doesn't have anything particularly scary, something I was able to guess was going to be the case by reading through the thread.

And a new version of P3D is going to be/is in development, eh? Is there any chance that it will it have 3D model support, by any chance? (Not necessarily the ability to load existing model formats, so much as the ability to load a custom-made one, since I'm guessing that's more likely/easier to be implemented.)

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P3D with model import support....then i would say. "Just shut up and take my money!!!" :-D

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ hgf: not really a new version,
    it's just that while making this little game I was able to implement that terrain engine,
    that's something I already tried doing in the past in other ways and it never worked good enough
    (while attempting to recreate something like the old Novalogic's "voxel space" technology seen in "Comanche")
    due to performances, of course..
    This time, using a completely different (and simpler) method, the idea worked just fine (of course, there are compromises..!)

I've already started porting this system to P3D last week, as it would be a perfect companion,
    but since I would like to add other features, and to optimize it at best, it may take some time.
    This should be able to load height maps (and color maps, and I'm planning also "material" maps) from graphic files, and likely to relief the runtime by cutting on polygons.
    Hopefully there will be chance to talk about this in greater detail not too far in time !
    Also, let's say it quiet, but I would like to test if this thing could perform decently on mobile..

Give the game a try if you want to see the terrain engine in action,
    the game is not that scary and won't cheat you with unexpected tricks

@ hfg and Klownzilla:
    eh, model import would be probably doable to some extent,
    since most models out there use quadrilateral meshes,
    but:
    1) it would be a lot of work to do interpreting those files would need some in depth research
    (most are simple xml like files with lists of coordinates, colors etc., but anyway for a decent import those would need to be studied carefully)
    2) if not a very very simple model, it would perform awfully (even the simplest model have lots of polygons for Fusion to handle)

I thought some times of a native format, would be fun to do a little model editor and saving the file in a .p3d format,
    but considering point (2) above I don't know if it could be worth the effort,
    plus models would be pretty awkward to control (say, move body parts) in-events
    unless I can come up with a very good system

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @schrodinger

I personally wouldn't mind point #2, which is why the idea of a native 3D model format is something I've almost considered making myself as a proof-of-concept. Keep in mind that, as of now, we don't really have any options for creating something that looks like, say, this:

If we even had basic 3D model support and highly-limited polygon counts, we could get something that looks like that, except it may also have fully-textured polygons instead of color-filled ones. Mind you, it may run at a low framerate, which, from my understanding, is something the game in the video had to do on most (but not all) systems of the time, but honestly, I think it's still useful for certain circumstances over-all. And quite frankly, that may be under-selling how many polygons the engine can render at a time.

Now, combine that with super-basic animation support (e.g. the ability to rotate and re-position individual pieces of a model), then we may even get something somewhat close to this (albeit with a somewhat lower polygon count or framerate, and unless scaling is implemented, some of the animations would be a tad bit simpler):

If you pay close attention, most of the animation relies almost entirely on rotating various segments of the objects, or at the very least could likely be re-created by doing so if that isn't what it's doing.

Sure, that'd likely take a while to make even with such a feature, but honestly, it'd probably be worth it.

Of course, if you start trying to implement it, and it turns out that you can't get 3D models with polygon counts of the first of those videos I linked to, then maybe that's when it isn't even close to worth putting any more time or effort into it.

Overall, your call. I just thought I'd chip in my two cents, with my two cents more-or-less being that N64 games, PlayStation games, and other early 3D games were able to look half-decent at times despite the low polygon counts, so I personally think that a low polygon count wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast