User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is using up so much memory?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Volnaiskra,this is a learning project and what you just posted is very helpful.I'm going to continue shaving off megabytes to make more RAM breathing room.Also I didn't know having many frames can take up RAM,I thought each frame had 2gb of RAM and got reset when it went into a new frame.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure who you were responding to, but just to be clear: when I was talking about frames, I was talking about animation frames, not Fusion frames

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you destroy at the start of frame, the graphics would definitely still all be loaded into memory on start up, but if you set them to not be created at all until you need them, that might save you a lot.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Volnaiskra-
    Yeah,I confused animations frames with fusion level frames.

DaveC-
    I tried that,but it didn't help.No difference in memory.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a few things to conserve memory,like unchecking the "create at start" box and checking the "load on call" box.I also put the entire app in "color reduction" under the ios runtime.
    I still haven't notices any changes in memory,but I haven't built it on the iphone yet.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after boasting before that I'd never hit the memory limit, today I just did :/

Can someone confirm how/when "load on call" works? I've unchecked it on a ton of stuff, yet it hasn't made any difference at all in RAM usage. My game all takes place on one frame, which is reloaded every time the user selects a new level. So this frame has everything on it, even though only a portion is ever used per level. It'd be really handy to make some of this stuff not load on call! How do I actually do that in a way that works? (btw I don't have the "force load on call" option checked)

Also, does anyone know the exact RAM limit on the Windows runtime? When you google it, everyone says 2GB, though over here Fusion bugs out at about 1.6GB

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retrobolt. You may want to rule out any extension memory leaks. If the extension dev has forgotten to free memory it'll quickly get out of control. Did you add any extensions to the project before your project started to utilize so much memory?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never use load on call, this would be nice to know for me as well.

And Retrobolt, are you using giant bitmap files for everything? Your filesize sounds way too big for what you're trying to do IMO (especially if you aren't using a ton of large music files). For example one of my games uses 41 actual 'song' songs (drums bass and etc.) and comes nowhere near that file size.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Load on Call does just that, it only loads the object and its images into memory at runtime once called. However, this is theoretically negated with objects that have 'Create at Start' checked. For it to work 100% as it should, you need to only create the object as/when needed for the first initialisation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Volnaiskra

If its not too late you could reprogram your game to have 1 frame per level,then each level will have 2gb per frame and a lot more room to work with.

I notice that games that use upscaled pixel art don't have this problem as much as games that use detailed,drawn art like yours and mine.
    I know that freedom planet and avgn adventures took the multi-frame approach when developing their games and I never found any threads of them having problems with memory.

I understand that people don't like to have lots of frames because if you make one change to an object or enemy,you'll have make the change to each frame that object or enemy is in.So maybe have 3 frames that load your levels,frame 1 loads levels 1-10,frame 2 loads levels 11-20 and so on.So if you make any changes it will only have to be in 3 frames and you'll still have more memory to spare.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast