User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is using up so much memory?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is using up so much memory?

Yesterday my game only used around 95mb of memory today its using over 950mb.Over the past day I haven't made that many changes so I don't know whats going on.
    I deactivated every line of code and that didn't change anything.I have nearly all of my object destroyed with qualifiers at the start of the frame,but that doesn't help,I only have 42 objects active at once and yet if I delete the qualifiers so there's over 120 objects the memory stays the same.
    So does anyone have any idea of whats going on?

I have a link to download the mfa,its just one frame from my game so its unplayable,but you can still look at the debugger and get info on it.The code is organized,but I don't think that's causing the problem.
    Also make sure you set your view to 25% so you can see everything.
    Thank you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv9g6ttbld...n%201.mfa?dl=0

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasionally my MMF games tend to require gobs of memory and on my old laptop especially running Win 8 sometimes stuff'd slow to a crawl.
    I have no idea what causes these hiccups.

Clickteam Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a lot of big images, that might be the issue. I can tell as It's an 79.4MB .mfa file... (And I have slow internet, took me over 10 minutes to download :P)

Images are rendered by first ceiling their size to a power of 2. So 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, and so on.
    If you have an image, lets say 1080 x 960. Its actual size will be 2048 x 1024 to the renderer, using up more memory. So if you have that image animated... that might be a problem a bit. Transparent images or images with an alpha channel are even worse and use up much more bytes.

Look how your app starts up, it takes a while. This is because all images that you have on frame are loading up. Those images in the frame cause it, that's my go at it at least.

However, don't take my word on that, there is a possibility that I'm wrong :P
    - BartekB, a.k.a Uppernate
    Join the Click Converse Discord! - https://discord.gg/7RNXFrC
    Dungeon Raiders! - Link soon™

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Del_Duio,BartekB

The attacks in my game are prerender image sequences with at least 15-40 frames and 700x300 each,but some are 768x1024 at 96 frames.I went to one attack,deleted 14 frames and it now runs at 917mb where before it was 960mb.Then I did a test where I imported a 96 frame 768x1024 animation and MY GOD it ran at 1,950mb!Even when I destroyed it,it still used 1,300mb.
    So even though I have the attack destroyed at the start of the frame it will still take up memory.So I have to delete a lot of frames and reanimate some attacks and I should be able to get it down to under 200-300mb.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you say you destroy the attack at the start, is that in an event? what if you just uncheck "create at start" in the objects properties?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the object in a qualifiers and destroy the qualifier at the start of the frame.When the attack is needed I use the Create object action.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been deleting unnecessary frames and so far got the memory down to 760mb where before it was 960mb.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a ton of sounds and music will stack up filesize quite a bit, too.

Keeping them in separate folders and playing them from file at runtime will ease the amount of memory you run at any given point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Success!After reworking animations,resizing and deleting unnecessary frames,I got all the attacks running in the frame at 1058mb.

It sounds like a lot but when I first posted this thread this morning,60 attacks took up 950mb and all of the attacks took over 2gb which maxed out fusions ram.Now I have all the the attacks (120 attacks) at 1058mb which still leaves me with over 800mb I can use in the future.

Now I know why many devs make their games in 8 bit and upscale their games to hd instead of setting it to 768x1024 resolution and don't have giant screen covering sprites all over the place.Lesson learned.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's more about the animations than the frame size or whether it's 8-bit or not. My game is built in 1920x1080, and has loads of huge background graphics across some 15 parallax layers - many of those graphics are 4096x4096, and all are 32-bit PNGs. And I've yet to hit the memory limit.

But I make sure that my animations are small - usually 32x32 or 64x64, or some 128x128 ones if they're short. I have loads of animations, but at that size, they don't consume much RAM even if you have a lot of them. The combination of large images and many frames is the killer - everything else is pretty much fine.

And like Bartek says, watch your dimensions. Your 768x1024 animations are really 1024x1024 animations. And plus they have 3 separate RGB channels (4 with an alpha channel), which makes them 1024x1024x3 = 3.14MB

On its own, 3.14MB is nothing, so you can have plenty of those large still images around if you like. But in an animation, you burn through your RAM limit in seconds, as you found out when you shaved just 14 frames off and saved 43MB (3.14MB x 14 = ~43MB)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast