User Tag List

Thread: Saving JPEG with quality

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Saving JPEG with quality

Heyo C++ers,
    I'm using ExportImage() with a cSurface, and it works fine, but my client wants variable quality so I need work out how to set JPEG quality when I export.

There's a SetCompressionLevel() function in CImageFilterMgr, but it's not documented. There's nothing for other cSurface related to compression or quality.

How do I access the main feature of a lossy format in the Fusion SDK?

Cheers,
    ~Phi

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With SetCompressionLevel() between 0 (worst) an 100 (best), you can set the quality. I think 75 if you do not define anyting but I am not sure.
    Value parameter is an integer.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you're looking up a filter's extensions, they're in "bmp" format.

How do I do a save of a cSurface? Do I pass LockBuffer() to it?
    Code:
    // Higher quality equals lower compression.
    pFilter->SetCompressionLevel(101 - quality);

LPBYTE buffer = psf->LockBuffer();
    cSurface * psf = /* was already init'd */;
    pFilter->Save(snapshotPathANSI.c_str(), buffer, psf->GetWidth(), psf->GetHeight(), 24, psf->GetPitch(), nullptr);
    Something like that?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that parameter set works. Output of Save() is "IF_OK" if okay, otherwise IF_XXX error. There's the full code of ExportImage in the SDK help file if you search it.

But the compression level doesn't appear to be adjusting. I manually save through the whole range, and the output files are the same size and have the same hash.
    The data is completely fresh cSurface *s and filter classes, so I know I'm not reusing things. I've jumped in at runtime and the quality is passed properly.

I may be using an old mmfs2.lib - will that change anything? Was this fixed at some point?

EDIT: I upgraded to the latest in the clickteam-plugin/windows repo and it didn't change anything. Same issue.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't help you, but looking at the Surface source I originally intended for there to be a quality setting when saving JPEGs, but I scrapped it - perhaps for the same reason. (Disclaimer: That was a long time ago)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Looki, I did check Surface source code before I posted.
    I've now dropped a bugbox ticket, but results are perturbing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yves saved the day and implemented it! You have to overwrite the JPEG Image Filter, though.
    You can tack in some JPEG compression to Surface now Mr. Looki!