User Tag List

Thread: The technicalities of making a server browser?

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The technicalities of making a server browser?

As in, lobby system. I want to make a multiplayer game and technically I'd be able to, but I don't want people having to manually enter IP and port. But I haven't found any good info about how to write master server as in adding games and removing games that aren't "alive" which could happen if actual game's host crashes and fails to unregister game because of that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the IP and port, you can put your servers list in somewhere on internet and retrieve the data in user app using the GET Object.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but how to actually write that list? It's what I have problem with.

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this tutorial on creating a high score list using the GET object.

http://download.clickteam.com/tutorials/en/Easy%20Online%20Scores.pdf

It will help you understand the fundamentals.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, fundamentals are easy. It's with removing inactive/unreachable games where it gets tricky.

//edit: What I mean is: sure, host can send "unregister" signal when he properly disconnects, but what if he rage quits (alt-f4) or game just crashes for him? Then server list is populated with tons of unreachable games, some may be malicious work of some trollish players which doesn't look well for the game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The condition to check if an user is inactive or not should be made in the server side. For example, your server can send a request to each user. If an user does not answer, the server should remove it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I really don't get it...