User Tag List

Thread: Is this reverse engineering? If yes, may I have permission?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this reverse engineering? If yes, may I have permission?

Hello. I saw that it's impossible to save J2ME game progress into a file. There's no disk I/O stuff. However, on a J2ME app called VibeJive, I saw that there's an RMS exporter programmed in a single class file that allows the user to save the app data (called RMS) so that they don't lose it while moving from one phone to another or while doing a master reset of the phone. It's a backup option for short. The MANIFEST.MF file contains data about whether the user wants to launch VibeJive or RMS exporter. Someone uploaded that solution so that J2ME gamers can backup their game progress.

I'm thinking about opening up my game's jar file, editing the MANIFEST-MF file and adding the RMS exporter class file into the jar file. The EULA says that I may not reverse engineer my games and I don't know if this would count as reverse engineering since I'm not touching any of the other class files that are contained in the jar file. This is why I'm asking for permission to do this. What do you think, Clickteam?

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *bump* I really need an answer. I don't want this topic to drown in the forum and out of visible range before I get the answer.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact costumer service.They'll reply in a day.
    http://www.clickteam.com/contact-us

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can you not use INI for saving/loading in Java?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can, but the files go to the RMS of the Java application. It's Java for Mobile Phones. There's no disk I/O in the way that my INI files go to a specific folder on the phone's visible filesystem or the memory card. Let me check it anyway. I've made an application for my phone that lets me edit INI contents on it. Took me 2 hours to get the keyboard input working. I might share the app.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I don't have a memory card reader so I cannot access the RMS of the app at the moment, but it's obvious that the INI file did not appear in the file system, but in the RMS. I played Javacraft and I remember that it had some files in the RMS when I had the memory card reader.

So may I have the permission to edit the jar file so that it has the RMS reader? It only takes to edit the MANIFEST.MF file and add the RMS exporter class file into it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also curious to the answer to your question. ..

I don't believe what you wish to do falls in the definition of reverse engineering; it is more of an enhancement. (Just ask VMWare or Canonical Ltd, they each made a business out of it.)

I wonder if 3.0 will include that feature. (Hint, hint )

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, you will be fine as it doesn't touch the runtime. Let me know how it goes...