User Tag List

Thread: Global and alterable values inconsistent.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Global and alterable values inconsistent.

Global value indices are base 0. Alterable value indices are base 1. Curious as to if this is on purpose, since they seem to be directly analogous features. Loops are base 0, which means to use indices with loops, you need to subtract one for every calculation.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't understand what you are trying to do. Global Values, Alterable Values and Loops are all 0-based, unless you specify otherwise (minus the loop index) in the value...

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it backwards, sorry. Global values are base 1, alterable values are base 0.

I'm using global strings as a lookup table for control bindings, and using alterable values of an active object for control firing flags. I transferred this code from a project that used global values instead, and the index of alterable values seems to start from 1, not 0.

Here's proof: http://i.imgur.com/JZ5dZAz.png I'm displaying global value (1) and it's showing the first global value. It should show the 2nd one to be consistent.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fusion is inconsistent between 0-based and 1-based in various places so it is worth paying attention (e.g. with paragraphs in the string object). Unfortunately, changing everything now to be uniform would break old code.
    .:::.Joshtek.:::.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a mess and you'll have to figure out whether it's zero index or not as you go. The Xbox Joypad object is also inconsistent (within the same object!) regarding Player 1, Player 2, Player 3, etc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like something that won't be able to fixed until fusion 3.

Consider using just alterable values attached to global active objects. This is a good way to organise your variables anyway. You can make active objects with names like: player, physics, HUD, movementInput, levelInfo etc. Then store appropriate alterable values in them.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using active objects where I can, but they only have 10 alterable strings (another issue.) It'd be nice to have a string/key dictionary object for easy and fast data storage. Arrays can hold strings, of course, but they can't name them, so for stuff like keybindings it would get messy. Or, just more alterable strings would do the job, I guess.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try using something like the List object. I haven't used it, but I believe it can give you access to unlimited strings.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need named string lists, like a dictionary. AFAIK, alterable strings/global strings are the only thing that fill that need.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol this is a classic Fusion 2.5 headache that will thankfully be gone by F3. When dealing with this, if you're looping through whatever index, you can just do "loop index+1" or -1.. it's annoying, but you can work around it.