User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick backdrops and collision issues - sometimes event wont trigger?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MaciOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(VIDEO) Quick backdrops and collision issues - sometimes event wont trigger?

I want to use quick backdrops because they are fast to use in 32x32 grid based game. However, I have countered issues where scaled active objects combined with quick backdrops have trouble detecting collisions. Usually 65-90 angle collision from below or from the top works fine, but south east/ south west angled collisions tend to fail. Messing with detection type (fine collision on/of) can make things work but it always seems finicky.

I mainly encounter this when I use (for the line of site) an active object that is stretched from a point to an active object, and then I do check if that line is overlapping backdrop. Quick backdrops are all 32x32 based. If I use quick backdrops (marked as obstacle) they tend to fail, however if I place normal backdrop instead, things work fine (unless I check collision with a box). What is going on here?

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno, but I think with snap to grid and paint mode available quick backdrops aren't as useful as they once were, unless you want gradient background. But Quick Backdrops always were pretty bad with collisions. In original KNP for example, they couldn't detect collisions at all.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is video that shows the problem in action:

As you can see normal backdrops don't have the problem (they will if I set them as "collision with a box"). However quick backdrops still get 100% of collisions when just detecting non-overlap collision (with unscaled bullets).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I experienced a similar issue in the past with a scaled and rotating active,
    failing to trigger collisions
    but then changed the movement code for that object and the issue at some point vanished,
    always was unsure if the issue was on my side or not, since the project was pretty complex to debug.

Anyway, if you can prepare a simplified .mfa showcasing just the issue,
    I would post it to the bugbox, if anything to have a confirmation it's a bug or not.
    If confirmed, I guess it will be very hardly addressed before F3
    ...but since you have a workaround already...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the example file. It has 3 events. 2 of them detect if a scaled rotating green line is overlapping a backdrop. If it is overlapping, it changes color. As you can see it does not give constant results.
    However, try replacing those quick backdrops with normal ones and everything works fine.

EDIT: It seems that background layer has something to do with this problem - if you remove it in the example file, everything works like it should.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uncheck "Use Fine Detection" in your object's runtime properties and you'll see that it fixes it. Seems this is an inaccuracy in a rotated hitbox that has been floating around the forums for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said in the first post, messing with fine collision might fix it. This however unnecessarily complicate things if I want finer collision with actives.

Moreover if you delete the larger backdrops and the lowest level on my example, you will see that un-fine collision fails too. In this case it detects hits over 10+ pixels before and after the actual overlap happens.
    It might be just me, but I think that this seems pretty basic stuff that should be working without a hitch.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah there are some "basic" issues with collisions, particularly when scaling/angling things.
    Why don't you try posting to the bugbox Jokk3?
    While it's unlikely (imho) that would be fixed before F3,
    this might be something CT could anyway give a proper answer on

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I deleted the background (Quick Backdrop) and added a new Quick Backdrop with a texture and sent it to back. Collision detection is now working perfectly...

Edit :
    Obs I forgot that I removed the background layer and added a Quick Backdrop (and sent it to back) on the same layer as the rest of the object's. Sorry...
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright. I did what Gar suggested and noticed that adding quick backdrop on the detection layer does fix the problem - but only without the fine detection. Doing the add background thing and destroying the bottom layer makes the both detection precision levels work. Is that how it is supposed to work, and if not, do things like these get fixed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast