User Tag List

Thread: Spacebar not working when holding down multiple arrow keys

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spacebar not working when holding down multiple arrow keys

This seems to be a strange issue I've encountered. If holding down 2 arrow keys at once, such as down and left for example, the spacebar does not register when pressed. I spent hours sifting through events trying to figure out what might be causing this. So then I created a small test app where the only event is to rotate an Active when you press spacebar. Lo and behold, the Active wouldn't rotate while I was holding down 2 arrow keys and pressed spacebar.

I was wondering if this was an issue for anybody else. Is it something to do with my hardware? A bug? Or is there a reason for this limitation? Any help would be great.

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably a hardware problem. Most all cheap keyboards can't register more than 3 or 4 keypresses on the same row. Has something to do with the circuitry. Check out the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply. This definitely sounds like the issue. Welp, back to the drawing board on control scheme.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But not allowing 2 arrow keys and spacebar? That seems like such a common control scenario that I'm surprised I haven't heard about this problem before. The last time I experience this problem was actually in Star Control 2, which that wikipedia page mentions But that was 20 years ago, and you had to be pressing like 10 keys at once.

SuperDisk is probably right. But just in case, have you tried using the ControlX object instead of the built-in keyboard object, azurie?

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to test if it's hardware problem is to open notepad or other editor, press those two arrows then space and see if it'll register it, as in if it'll input space. If it does, the problem is either with your code or there's bug in CF that need to be fixed. Badly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, sorry to revive this thread, but I figured I'd ease some minds in case anyone was worried. lol. I tried Darkhog's suggestion by trying to space in notepad while holding 2 arrows. The spacebar did not register, so yeah... it's my hardware.

I may just add custom button mapping so people can set it to spacebar if it works for them.

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, most modern free indie games, both web-based (html5/flash) and not, are using arrows for movement and z/x/c/v for actions. Quite convenient layout.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely your keyboard, I had to update mine recently for the same issue