User Tag List

Thread: Turning RPG into MMORPG?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning RPG into MMORPG?

Editing this in case anyone else finds this thread looking for an answer to my question: For multiplayer games like MMORPG's, the data should be stored on the server. If it's stored on your own machine (client), then it's very easy to edit or 'hack' this data (level, money, movement speed,...).
    A server made in Lacewing apparently can't handle more than 50 connections at a time, so for an MMORPG you'd have to write your own server in a real coding language like Python or C++. This also means that you can't really make an RPG and then later turn it into an MMORPG without having to do a crazy ton of editing and having done a ton of work for nothing. If you want to make an MMORPG using Clickteam Fusion, don't start by creating an RPG, create an MMORPG from the start. Furthermore, the current version of Lacewing doesn't work on newer Android devices, and Lacewing likely won't be getting any updates anymore. So if you want to make a multiplayer game for Android, you shouldn't be using Lacewing at all.

Old post:
    Hey, I'm just starting out with Clickteam Fusion so I still have a lot to learn, but one of the things I want to create with it is an MMORPG.
    I figured creating a single player RPG would be a good way to learn more, so I could already start doing that and then later turn it into an MMORPG. However, I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Is this something that's easy to do, or would it require changing so many things that it would be better to start using Lacewing from the start?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're just starting out with Fusion it's not a good idea to start doing a RPG. I'm doing one myself and I don't want to discourage you but it's an insane amount of work to do. I'm going the free roaming way with my game so there's even more work and I'm drowning in work with that project. Even if I have done a lot already I still don't see the light at the end. Still million things to do so I advice you to start out with something more simple to get to learn the software, otherwise you'll soon get frustrated and might abandon your project It's easy ti be a Little naive and just Think "Oh I will just make locations for the characters...add quests" etc. Then when you actually start doing Everything you'll realise how much there is to it. Making every inventory item work...making all items for battles work....Making all equipment work, making all the leveling up features, all dialogs and so on.

I know I was naive when I began with my game but now I have all the basics working. battles, using items bla bla. total freedom of leveling up your character. All of that is already working but there is still so much work to be done before that game will be released and I have already spent almost 2 years on that game. makes me tired just thinking about it

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There wouldn't be too much work. But it still will take a decent amount of time to get working right. The thing with MMO's is that if you're a solo developer who is going to maintain the game and servers? Sure you can do it your self but then when will you get time to work on new projects? I'd personally say work your way up to an MMO. Maybe release another version of the game later on with online aspects.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownzilla View Post
    If you're just starting out with Fusion it's not a good idea to start doing a RPG.
    Really? I actually thought that making an RPG would be one of the best ways to get into Clickteam, as the basics seem pretty simple and you gradually learn more (or so I thought). Well there are a bunch of other projects I had in mind too, so I guess I'll start with those then.

Quote Originally Posted by danworth
    The thing with MMO's is that if you're a solo developer who is going to maintain the game and servers? Sure you can do it your self but then when will you get time to work on new projects? I'd personally say work your way up to an MMO.
    Oh, I'm not planning to do this all on my own. I figured that by the time I'll be finishing the RPG, I'll already have found a team of people who want to help developping and maintaining the game.
    Yeah, I was planning to start with making single player games and then moving on to multiplayer games over the same network first to learn the basics of Lacewing, before finally starting to work on online multiplayer games (with my ultimate goal being an online multiplayer augmented reality game ^^).

Thanks for the replies.