User Tag List

Thread: is file already encrypted?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question is file already encrypted?

whats the best way to write in a ini entry with aesfusion and keep track to see if that entry is encrypted or not and at the same time keep that secret too? (this is so i don't re-encrypt whats there already and if the made app crashes unexpectedly.)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure I understand your scenario entirely, but you could just hash the data and compare the hash. Save the hash inside the same INI, then do a compare when you load the data...?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUnicode Add-onInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd be best to assume the file is encrypted. If the file process is that the file is only decrypted in memory it shouldn't be a problem. However if you're decrypting the file to disk to read and then encrypting it once done that wouldn't be a good idea. If the extension doesn't allow you to read a decrypted version of the file with out writing the file back to disk then I'd stop using the extension.

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question very good points

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Not sure I understand your scenario entirely, but you could just hash the data and compare the hash. Save the hash inside the same INI, then do a compare when you load the data...?
    i see reading the hash of the file to see if has been modified/changed.
    thanks i didn't think of that

Quote Originally Posted by danworth View Post
    You'd be best to assume the file is encrypted. If the file process is that the file is only decrypted in memory it shouldn't be a problem. However if you're decrypting the file to disk to read and then encrypting it once done that wouldn't be a good idea. If the extension doesn't allow you to read a decrypted version of the file with out writing the file back to disk then I'd stop using the extension.
    the ini entrys are stored like this in the file as example.

[2515E3462611B36289C9D4569C76458]
    44E10E3817BF0BE658E1841EE9BEBC46=E37127D88F44FBAE8 7B2AFBE12D595F9

I'm sure this is not a problem, compared to encrypting a file then decrypting it is less secure as you explained.

one more question in relation of security which ctf extensions are memory related to store unencrypted data until its ready to be encrypted again?
    im sure the editbox and string objects ain't good choices.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Aside of the INI extension, all are pretty much memory related unfortunately. The INI extension reads and writes directly to the file when called, this is rather secure. I would just secure the hash's you're dealing with as strings. If you really need to display something in Fusion, your best bet is to split the string into separate values. IE: Your encrypted string "2515E3462611B36289C9D4569C76458" is now listed in Fusion as:

Alterable Value A: 2515E
    Alterable Value B: 34626
    Alterable Value C: 11B36

etc. you could even skip an alterable value with an insane delimiter like #283928d$*$("jdnfj_randomstring(93834)_)

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your help Danny this information is invaluable for me password program.