User Tag List

Thread: ElecMythic Mysteries - The Humanity Legend: Weirder Stuff entry (with video)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ElecMythic Mysteries - The Humanity Legend: Weirder Stuff entry (with video)

Seeing as how somebody else has made a thread for their Weirder Stuff entry, I've decided to make a thread for my own Weirder Stuff entry.

To explain the game's backstory, I'll post the game's opening text (reformatted a bit to better fit the forums):

On an alternate Earth, in the distant past of 1141 B.C.,robots roam the lands, as though they were humans of our world.

Built using ancient technology by an unknown species, it is unclear how they are powered.
    They are known as the Elecmythics.

To the Elecmythics, humans are known as a legendary creature, said to be capable of wielding any tool or weapon.

It is also said they can swim through water safely, that they are capable of that walking between the trees, that they can approach extreme heats like lava without harm, and that they can perform many other such feats, as impossible as they sound to an Elecmythic.

Supposedly, the legend says that they will bring good fortune to the first sentient non-human to ever discover one, though it is now widely debated if this is merely translational error.

Recently, a robot who set out to find a human to prove once and for all that they do exist has gone missing...

Search parties have been sent, but nobody has been able to find the whereabouts of the missing robot...

You, however, have requested to form your own search party.
    In an act of desperation, the people of your town agree to allow you to form your own search party to look for them.

Excited to go on an adventure, you set out by yourself, to gather robots from neighboring towns to form your search party...

As you wander around the forest, you begin to wonder...

...What mysteries may you uncover along the way?...
    So, simply put, I decided to take a slightly looser take on the supernatural theme. It's also a bit of a twist on the typical "ancient legend" sorts of things you find in games: Since you're playing as ancient robots, some of the ancient legends they have are legends about humans, as the robots have seemingly never met one face-to-face, which, again, kinda fits the whole supernatural theme, as many legends talk about supernatural creatures... you just have to think about it from the perspective of the robots.

And don't worry: There are a few other tricks up my sleeve that pretty much ensure that the game at least slightly better fits the supernatural theme.

With the explanation as to how this fits a supernatural theme out of the way, let me explain what the game itself is...

Elecmythic Mysteries - The Humanity Legend is a single-player Action-RPG Fighting-game hybrid.

Yes, you read that right. An Action-RPG Fighting-game hybrid. (Another factor that has had me keeping this thing under wraps until today, since it's a pretty abnormal concept that I didn't want anybody trying to copy until the game was nearly complete anyways.)

Here's a video which hopefully demonstrates exactly how in the world such an odd concept works:

(NOTE: The lag is entirely the fault of the screen recording software. It didn't even lag in-game as best as I could tell.)

And in case it isn't clear from the video: You can only move around by using attacks, and most attacks move you around to some extent. They also have a bit of a cooldown period once the attacks in question end, thus making careful usage of your attacks essential. The game features several playable characters, each with different stats, such as dashing speed, jump height, etc., allowing for each character to have a distinct playstyle despite the relatively limited number of attacks (the video only shows 2, but the game has 3 attacks total).

Okay, so this thread is probably worded a bit weirdly, but I kinda wanted to put in as many details in the thread as possible, and since it's such an abnormal game, I kinda had a hard time thinking about how to better describe it without spoiling any story details or such.

Anyways, I'm looking forwards to submitting this game to Clickteam's Weirder Stuff competition!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OHH seems pretty nice,
    I knew it would have had robots inside

Like the stylized eye-relaxing, colorful and greenish environment.
    Love the fact it's an "odd" mix of genres, very fresh concept!
    (by chance the most-likely-to-be-completed-in-my-lifetime-game-project I'm pushing on right now is also a crazy mixture of genres - including elements of top down RPG )

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't think it surprised anybody when my game was announced to have robots.

Interesting to hear that you're working on a game that features several genres mixed together as well, on an unrelated note.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, the game is almost done. Just gotta tweak the final boss a bit, then add the ending cutscene and score screen, and then the game is done!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it has been submitted!

Hoping for the best!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Weirder Stuff games have been released by Clickteam!

Go check out Elecmythic Mysteries here: http://clickstore.clickteam.com/Clickjam/weirder_stuff_2016/elecmythic_mysteries

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've played it, that's an interesting mixture of genres,
    not only in the RPG/fight mix,
    fights themselves are both strategy and action

I like the fact that map area is wide and you have to travel around in a kinda-maze and explore various spots,
    and I like the fact you can unlock and use additional characters with different abilities (anyone ever played Ufouria for Nes?)

will hopefully find some time to try and beat what you've included in this version (I've come not very far on first playthroughs )

good job!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, thanks!

I think I'm getting mixed reactions on this one so far: Someone on the Clickteam Discord channel didn't seem to be a particularly huge fan of it.

I guess it just isn't a game for everyone... it does use a really odd genre mix, after all.

That being said, if I ever put the game up on GameJolt, I'll likely add an optional tutorial to fix most of the complaints I received, since a lot of the techniques that are near-essential for getting anywhere in the game requires that the player uses their attacks in ways you wouldn't expect them to be using them.

That, and the enemy variety could use a bit of work.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I confess I've been beaten a lot before discovering I could use & mix attacks to move and avoid enemies
    (something that can be seen clearly on your video above btw, which I had seen well before playing, but I guess I forgot...)
    but after discovering that, I found this was an interesting twist on the genre!

Mmm enemy variety, yes, I agree the game would benefit
    well, I think being in an early stage of development I suppose you have plenty of time to add along that line!