User Tag List

Thread: Imported images increase the file size 7x their size

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imported images increase the file size 7x their size

I've noted that when I bring in full-size animations in Fusion that the file size increases dramatically - and dramatically more than the actual size of the images that I'm importing as well.

For example I created an active object of 1285 x 725 with 8 images in it.
    The 8 images = 566 kb in total.
    They're all .jpg ranging from 30kb - 93kb

However, when I save the file it increases by 3 918kb. And when I export it (in this case .apk) that also increases by + - 3 918kb.

If I import the image as .png at the size 1285 x 725 with lots of transparency (compressed .png) -then I'm importing 3 084kb instead of 566kb and then the file size only increases 3 385kb. And in this case the .apk is smaller than it was when I was using .jpg images.

And all of this makes absolutely no sense to me... but I did see in some very old posts that Fusion was pretty much converting images to bitmap which would explain it ... but that was a post from 2011...

Is this still the case and is there a trick to keep Fusion from doing this?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be Fusion converting your images into a power of 2 texture before using them.

Your example image is 1285 x 725 - the nearest power of 2 texture that would match that would be 2048 x 1024, so it's using quite a bit more memory to store the image in Fusion. If you want to do a test, try and get the images as close to power of 2 sizes as possible, or crop them to remove all the transparent space in the picture editor.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks RhysD

If I change my animation to 1024 x 512 then the images = 364kb.

My file size is then increasing by 2 383kb (which is still too much in this case)

There's no transparency on this image and I can't crop it - I had assumed that creating a full-colour image with 20 coloured stars on a black background in 80% .jpg would take less "space" then exporting them individually or collectively as .png images - because it does outside of Fusion.
    But then discovered that in this case it's quite the opposite - the .png images take less "space" inside of Fusion - but then apparently uses more processing power...