User Tag List

Thread: Can I jump while using 32 direction movement?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I jump while using 32 direction movement?

Hey, got more questions for ya! If I am using 32 Direction movement, can I jump? or would that require some kind of 2.5D engine? I am specifically thinking of the old beat em up games, where you can move in all directions and jump, too. Is this possible?

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but you'd have to make your own engine. Are you thinking of something like Final Fight (movement in and out of the screen + jumping) or more like an isometric game (e.g. Diablo)? Either way, I'd create a shadow and move it together with your character; when your character jumps, it separates from the shadow to give the illusion of height.

When programming the collision detections use a flag (e.g. JUMP=1 or JUMP=0) to determine if the colliding objects are in the same plane of movement.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say make my own engine, do you mean, build everything, including custom movement? Or do you just mean, using 32 dir as a base and expanding from that?

I plan on Final fight style. I was thinking of adding the shadows underneath, maybe even resizing the shadow in relation to the passage of frames, I was just wondering if there was a better way to do it.

Thanks for the info!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He means that the built in movements can't do that, so you'll have to create it yourself through coding either by creating an entire custom movement or by building on-top of the default movement. To simulate the jump, have a shadow active that's placed below your character. When he jumps, move your character upwards in the Y direction while keeping the shadow in the same place. It'll look like the player jumped. You can also use this shadow as a detector for your player, just an idea. There's a fastloop platform tutorial on clickteam's tutorial page. Check that out for the jumping mechanic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking that out now. Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Sumo said. Also you might want to think about scaling the character and shadow sprites so that they get slightly smaller as they move into the screen (Y axis decreases) so that you get a sense of depth and perspective. Obviously the character would remain the same size while jumping (and Y axis decreases during jump). If the character doesn't need to jump onto or over anything, why not leave the hotspot in the same place (Y axis doesn't change) and just animate the jumping action?
    So for example in Final Fight - Guy's/Cody's jumping animation is playing and player presses attack button --> change animation to jump Kick.
    Just to expand on what Sumo said about using the shadow as a detector; you could check that the player character's shadow has the same Y axis value as the enemy's shadow when attacking - this way you can determine if you've hit an enemy who's stood next to you and not slightly in front or behind you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful! Thanks for the input. I was wondering about shadow detector and I guess that makes perfect sense.