User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I just discovered that 75 bad objects that can't be deleted in my game. What now?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just discovered that 75 bad objects that can't be deleted in my game. What now?

I was cleaning up the main frame of my game today, and found an object I couldn't delete. I recognized this as a symptom of bad objects, and read all the forum posts I could to see if there had been any progress made on solving this problem. It seems there's still no solution?

Just to be sure, I tried deleting all the code in the project and then deleting all the objects, and even with no code left in the frame, 75 objects refused to delete.

Some were clearly related, like some that were cloned from original objects that must have been bad to begin with, but even with that pattern, I don't see how I ended up with 75 bad objects. Some were created weeks ago and some years ago, so there's not even a specific period of time when this could have begun.

I can begin the long process of creating 75 replacement objects and slowing moving my work over to a new application, but is there really no other solution? I'm not even sure I'll be able to do this much.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would really be better off starting over.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point, simply dumping Fusion and all its bugs is definitely an option. I had issues with bad objects on a different project years ago, and even when I e-mailed the game file in to the help department, they said there was nothing they could do.

If there are better solutions, I'd like to hear them, but switching over to Game Maker Studio looks like a better choice these days.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to see what's going on, seeming you're at desperation point why don't you post dropbox link of your .mfa , you never know a forum member may be able to fix your file. Or feel free to PM me with a link and I'd be happy to take a look, you never know it may be a problem that I've dealt with before.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    >> if there had been any progress made on solving this problem.

I think this is a complex issue, and a large part of what was causing this issue was fixed in 2.5 (or latest versions of 2.0 maybe), but probably old applications can still contain bad references to objects. This happens much less often than before nowadays AFAIK.

I'm not sure it's a huge issue though, does this prevent your app from working?

>> all its bugs

There is a bug box. Feel free to report all those bugs (and please attach example MFA files).

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 2 things you can do to see if the problem is gone.

1. copy the whole Frames into a new mfa
    2. copy the items and code from the frames into a new frame in a new mfa (or the same)

Save it, and Restart fusion.

this fixed issues for me in the past.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    >>I'm not sure it's a huge issue though, does this prevent your app from working?
    This can be a significant issue, but not for the reason you would think. The issue is not with objects that you want to delete, but with objects you don't want to delete. I discovered this very recently when I realised that I was no longer getting the "events associated with this object will be deleted too..." message (I had some situations where I thought I was deleting only an instance, but all the related events would get deleted). It turns out that the reason I don't get those warnings any more is because my MFA is so littered with undeletable objects! Fusion doesn't warn me about deleting them, because it can't delete them. But hitting the delete key is still a minor catastrophe, because all the events tied to that object get screwed up, despite the object 'theoretically' not being deleted.

Please note that I've never used any version of Fusion before 2.5, but like I said, my MFA is littered with these undeletable objects. So the problem certainly seems alive and well post-MMF, at least in some incarnation.

I discovered something very interesting though (and very weird). I actually managed to fix one of these undeletable Actives, without having to move to another frame. I've not heard of that being possible before. Though it involved deleting one single action, which sounds pretty different to Jocastus' situation, since s/he deleted every line of code and still couldn't delete the objects.

I posted about this on this thread , though I think it's relevant here, so I'm reposting. With any luck, it might help you cast some extra light on this problem.

pasted:
    __________________________________________________ _________

OK. I've done a lot of trial and error, and I've discovered some things: some disturbing, and some very odd.

First off, it seems like I've actually come up against another well-known, much hated bug: objects that refuse to delete. The reason I don't get the warning popup is that the objects aren't, technically, actually deleted! Yes, I can delete them from the frame editor, and yes, doing so screws up all of the events associated with them. But the object still remains in the Frame Editor object list. I can even drag it back onto the frame from there (but previous events associated with it are still screwed: their conditions disappear and/or their actions become "bad event")

But here's the interesting thing. After much trial and error, I was able to fix an 'undeleteable' Active Object by narrowing down the problem to...one single action, that had absolutely nothing to do with that Active Object! Let me explain:

Here's an Active Object that I wasn't getting the warning pop up for, called SprykeSkin

After scouring hundreds of events in my MFA, I found that this single action is the culprit:

Yep. After deleting this one action, which has nothing at all to do with the undeleteable SprykeSkin Active Object (then saving, closing and reloading the MFA), that undeletable Active Object becomes deletable (and hence, it gets a warning popup when I try to delete it). And after I delete that action, I can recreate that exact same action, and the problem doesn't come back.

So, it's a happy ending....sort of, but not really. Because I still have a LOT of other undeletable Active Objects in my frame, but they are not linked to that action. Deleting that action only seemed to fix SprykeSkin. For all I know, each of the other undeletable Actives is linked to some other different random action somewhere.

I've attached an MFA. Please see if you can recreate the problem and solution. It's important that you do it in this order:

-Try to delete the SprykeSkin active object. You should get no warning, and you should notice that the object remains in the Frame Editor object list. You should also notice that various events in the "Animation" group are stuffed up.
    -Close the MFA (don't save) and reload it.
    -Delete the pictured action [Create PlatDbl1r at (0,0) layer 20]. Don't delete the event - just that one action. You'll find this event right near the top
    -Save the MFA (I recommend Save As so you have the option of repeat testing)
    -Close the MFA and reload it
    -Now try to delete the SprykeSkin active object again. This time, you should get the warning. And if you do delete it, it should disappear from the Frame Editor object list.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's interesting Volnaiskra.

But indeed this happens very rarely lately.
    And by tweaking and trying there's often some sort of solution,
    I would as well try testing the forums and/or the bugbox before dumping the project (and Fusion! )

(but hey - 75 is huge! You've probably hit the record in bad objects! )

I don't know about GameMaker or any other similar kind of software,
    but "inconsistency" in references is a common problem in any programming language, if you don't take adequate measures,
    and "deleting something" can cause issues in "something else", when there are references behind
    (can be an invisible reference you wouldn't think of, i.e. just how processes are written -- sequenced),
    and can be a real pain to debug!

But I bet (and see) Clickteam is doing / will do the best to limit this,
    since end users have little to no control on this "background" process

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    >> objects that refuse to delete.

Yes, this one is a known issue and it's in my list for the next update if I've enough time before we release it, there is a way to reproduce it in the bug box too. It's due to bad references in Create Object actions. Francois never found how to fix it, I've to dig into his source code.

But I'm not sure the "bad object" issue is the same issue? (I thought it was the old bug in the event editor where some object icons are replaced with bugs - this one happens rarely nowadays)

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying some more experiments.
    So far, I created a new application, pasted the problem frame into it, saved the new application, closed Fusion, and then re-opened the new application with the problem frame pasted in. This changes nothing.

I'll try a few more things and post the results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast