User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PSx shader for firefly?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 30 so maybe it's a generational thing! :p

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears that some people like to recreate their favorite games, and in doing so want it to look exactly like it did back then, i assume the same can be said for classic car restorators why would you drive a old style model t ford when you can drive a ferrarri for about the same cost??? who knows but people do so here at Clickteam/Firefly we should allows them the tools to do so.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Triadian I really appreciate the simile, it's true, I think you'll see retro 3D techniques expand themselves beyond the household "voxels" courtesy of minecraft, which wasn't really voxels anyways

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Elvisish,

Not sure if I'm understanding the feel you're looking for, but in the early days, if you wanted something shaded, you just shaded the texture itself before applying it. I think they still do that to some degree.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dascribe affine texture rendering is slightly different, it basically means the z depth isn't corrected to take in account of the perspective, so it has that stretchy look you get on old 3D games.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @triadian here's a quote from neogaf:

"There's more than one graphical artifact the PS1 rendered. There are two main ones:

-Texture Warping. PS1 lacked a lot of texturing ability such as perspective correction. Easily seen when looking at a "straight" line on a texture that wasn't straight. Floors are the perfect place to see this. Driving games suffer a lot from this.

-Polygon Jitter. PS1 didn't have subpixel rasterization, which means the vertices were "snapped" to the pixel grid. The Nintendo DS suffers the same problem and has the exact same artifact. Easily seen in a static scene with a mesh that is "breathing" or animating slowly. Check out the NDS remakes of FF3 and FF4 during cutscenes.

PS1 didn't have a Z-buffer, but it wasn't the primary cause of the two above artifacts. Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 implemented software Z-buffers in special areas, but the games still suffers from the two above issues.

PS1 didn't have floating point calculations, only fixed point, which is unprecise and causes vertex positions to jitter.

The PS1 also couldn't do perspective correct texture mapping (it uses affine texture mapping), the edges of the polygons are perspective correct, but the textured 'scanlines' drawn between the edges to fill them don't calculate perspective per pixel. A way to improve this is to break a polygon up into smaller polygons, but the PS1 couldn't draw many of them to begin with.
    "

Would the jitter be possible to put back in, so to speak?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    until i give it a go - no idea what the effect i have in mind would look like - although the cause i read before was -
    PS1 didn't have floating point calculations, only fixed point, which is unprecise and causes vertex positions to jitter.
    which is what i was going to re-create.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'll be awesome!!

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triadian View Post
    until i give it a go - no idea what the effect i have in mind would look like - although the cause i read before was - which is what i was going to re-create.
    This pack kinda covers of all of the techniques I'd love to see in Firefly: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/27685

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *blump**blump*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast