User Tag List

Thread: Cancelled Refuge: LD37 submission (Also Greenlight Page)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cancelled Refuge: LD37 submission (Also Greenlight Page)

Play it ere: Cancelled Refuge
    Vote on Greenlit here: Steam Greenlight

Hey peeps, I thought I'd just write a quick post about my LDjam submission, Cancelled Refuge.

So Iíll just quickly go through how the game jam went down. The first 10-12 hours actually included zero vidya game shenanigans, it actually included lots of alcohol and then a mild hangover. Anyway once I got my Christmas party out of the way I went on trying to come up with something for this theme. (Did I already say I didnít like this theme? Not sure.) Originally the game looked like this:

(Ah yes the original art/game, very glad I scrapped it very early on now)

I quickly got rid of this concept and design, I was just too tired and hungover to make something decent of it. I needed my get of jail free card and that my friends is 8-bit NES style. Iíve made plenty of these styled games so to save me from headaches I decided to just do what I do best. I still didnít have a new concept at the time. The first idea was just a constant boss battle that grew stronger and stronger set in one room. However thatís when the penny dropped, I thought why not apply that idea to a stage instead, one room doesnít have to mean one level/art/setting.

(So thankful for 16◊16 sprites. These peeps are homages to my previous indie games)

So with the new concept/idea/art style behind me, I quickly designed an engine. Iíve now learnt how to streamline how I develop platformers so this stage didnít take long at all. I made it so itís very easy to change the variables of the collision box that it was this point where I thought I could cheekily add in different characters. I then started to design the way the room would change once youíve completed a loop and the simplest of things are usually the best. Originally the tiles were going to change when you got close but then I thought ah, sod it, Iíll just make the camera whip back to the start and have the room change straight away. It worked better.

(I honestly love 8-bit NES tile sets. Itís my art fetish.)

So everything was in place all was needed now is to make the rooms and the tilework to go with it. This was easily the most fun part. I originally had five different rooms planned but alas due to my antics I had to cut it down to three rooms and five characters. Alas we wont be seeing the Ice or Volcano rooms for now. Designing the loops and rooms was just so much fun. I really enjoy the difficult NES games of that era so it just just fantastic making something that relived that.

(8-Bit Baddies. My favourite type of baddie)

I did however decided to stick the game up on Steam Greenlight because why not? Iíd love to carry this game on, jazz it up and sell it for say $0.99. Thatíd be cool. So a yes vote would be lovely 

Anyway to sum things up, crap theme, fun jam. What a oxymoron. It just shows you how powerful Fusion2.5 can really be. Without it I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff in 72 hours, it's a serious power house when it comes to 2D games It's my secret Jam tactic!

-Joel

Play it ere: Cancelled Refuge
    Vote on Greenlit here: Steam Greenlight

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sinclairian, your games are outstanding. Have you ever considered selling a platform engine? You seem to have an amazing control of some very smooth mechanics. Pixel art is perfection

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of a mix of Mega Man 9/10's endless mode and the core concept of the "This Is The Only Level" series, and the blue character's jetpack reminds me a bit of Kirby in some ways.

Some ways you could consider improving it for the Steam release, though:

+More stages
    +Maybe a few more game modes (I certainly wouldn't mind a mode which changes stages on each loop)
    +Maybe the occasional boss battle? As in, after 50 or so loops, you get teleported to a boss room, and once the boss is defeated, you go right back to the normal loop until the next boss? Might be best as a part of an alternate game mode, though, rather than as a part of the main game mode...
    +Maybe some more playable characters?
    +Some of the new stages and/or characters could be unlockable to add replay value

Just a few ideas that I thought you could consider using for the Steam release, though I don't know how good all of them are.

(Adding more characters and levels would almost certainly be a good idea, though, and having some of them be unlockable would probably be good as well.)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow! this looks awesome, hits me right my the retro soft spot

really impressive for 72 hours. & that tileset image is amazing

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aenever View Post
    Hi Sinclairian, your games are outstanding. Have you ever considered selling a platform engine? You seem to have an amazing control of some very smooth mechanics. Pixel art is perfection
    It's just a very simple "static" engine, I didn't even bother to program in slopes because of time constraints. There are far better engines out there to be honest. And thanks, I do love my 8-bit pixel art ^-^

Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    Reminds me of a mix of Mega Man 9/10's endless mode and the core concept of the "This Is The Only Level" series, and the blue character's jetpack reminds me a bit of Kirby in some ways.

Some ways you could consider improving it for the Steam release, though:

+More stages
    +Maybe a few more game modes (I certainly wouldn't mind a mode which changes stages on each loop)
    +Maybe the occasional boss battle? As in, after 50 or so loops, you get teleported to a boss room, and once the boss is defeated, you go right back to the normal loop until the next boss? Might be best as a part of an alternate game mode, though, rather than as a part of the main game mode...
    +Maybe some more playable characters?
    +Some of the new stages and/or characters could be unlockable to add replay value

Just a few ideas that I thought you could consider using for the Steam release, though I don't know how good all of them are.

(Adding more characters and levels would almost certainly be a good idea, though, and having some of them be unlockable would probably be good as well.)
    I've already got at least 16 stages planned and 16 characters. Plus I've also put in an random mode as well. This game you have to remember was made in under 72 hours for Ludum Dare, so it's missing features. Sadly can't do too much in 72 being a solo dev and all but they're fantastic ideas 'cause I've already got stuff like that planned!

And thanks Shinbaxter! Honestly I really love 8-bit tile work! The NES palette is just yum!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear that the game has more stages and characters, and that it also has a random mode! I'm well aware that it was made on a tight time limit originally, by the way, I was just thinking that those could be some good extra features.

And wow, 16 stages? And 16 characters? That's a bit more than I had in mind, actually... ah well, it's not like it's a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting that so many stages and characters were in the works.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted, great job. Did u draw the art yourself? looks great

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this.