Posts by MJK

Welcome to our brand new Clickteam Community Hub! We hope you will enjoy using the new features, which we will be further expanding in the coming months.

A few features including Passport are unavailable initially whilst we monitor stability of the new platform, we hope to bring these online very soon. Small issues will crop up following the import from our old system, including some message formatting, translation accuracy and other things.

Thank you for your patience whilst we've worked on this and we look forward to more exciting community developments soon!

Clickteam.

Ok, maybe the term "infinite" was a bit misleading. What I meant with that was just the stars, which are created at runtime to random locations. Those would continue coming all the time. The individual bigger objects would obviously need to have fixed coordinates defined in some map file from which they are then created in the game. I don't know about scene graphs, but the number of objects wouldn't be that high.

Good to know, Disthron, thanks. I'll keep you in the loop when the funding becomes topical.

I agree that it would be optimal that the engine could be used widely within the community for many different purposes, so let's see if there is interest from the others as well.
    Equally important here is the cross-platform requirement meaning that this engine should work in exe, flash, iOS and Android runtimes (+HTML5?), so preferably I'm looking for something that uses just scale, angle and quite a bit of trigonometry math in MMF2 to pull it off (as opposite to e.g. the Raycasting extension which is limited to one runtime only).

Hey, nice to see there is some interest towards this. :)

So you're not planning on making a shooter? I'd be interested to know what kind of game you are making then.

There isn't really a genre for the game I'm making, it's... different. ;)

Quote from tompa

Just out of curiosity, you do not want any collision at all? not even weapon beams (raytraces, linechecks)

That's right, no collision needed. The only thing I need is to be able to compare player's coordinates and objects' coordinates and trigger some basic events based on the distances. I don't need any weapons either.
    However, if there will be more people interested in this project and also co-funding the development, then it might make sense to add collision detection and weapons. But right now - no need for either. In this way it is a "simple" flying around engine.

Quote from tompa

Further do you require the render distance from player position to be in a spherical shape? It's very likely that some distance optimization of any kind is required for the game to run well on old iOS devices like 3gs.

Hmm, I don't think that there is a need for this.. Also old mobile devices like iPhone 3GS don't necessarily have to run the engine smoothly. For iOS, iPhone 4S / iPad 2 and newer would be enough for me.

Nice sketches!

Yes, the basic idea would be something like in that WC2 video (although I would not be using the engine for a shooter game).

It should be possible to fly in every direction in the space (not just forward in a "tunnel") and the engine should be able read a "map file" with object locations (coordinates) stored, so that it would know when to create the objects at runtime. E.g. value=1 when player is at certain distance from and facing the location 2839, 250, 20199 in the space --> create active object 1.

Thanks for the suggestions. Let's hope there is some skilled developer out there who would like to try this out for a decent compensation.

What I'm looking for is a relatively simple pseudo 3D space engine where the user could fly around in an infinite space to any direction.

There would be random stars everywhere in the space with the usual zoom effect when approaching them, and some bigger sprites created at runtime when the user is at certain coordinates facing the right direction. So the engine should be able to keep track of user's location in terms of coordinates in the space and create sprites in events at the right location and show the sprites always in that same location. Engine should be able to save and restore user's location as well as location of bigger individual objects (not stars, they can be random).

No need for any collision detection nor scaling of backgrounds. Just stars and bigger 2d sprites on an empty/black background.

This would need to be done purely using scale, angle and trigonometry in MMF2, i.e. no use of extensions (other than extensions which are compatible with exe, iOS, Flash and Android runtimes). The engine should be light enough to run on mobile devices and flash.

If this is doable (not with my math skils, that's for sure!) and you are interested, please PM me and we can discuss more. This is a paid request obviously.