Thread: Flash or HTML5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5HTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Flash or HTML5?

Hi all,

First of all, just wanted to (re)introduce myself. I'm an old-school Klik & Play-er. I used to be on these forums all the time in the late '90s/early '00s, but have been away from it for a while while focusing on writing.

Now, I'm looking for ways to promote my novels and realized it might be effective to do an online game! That led me back to Clickteam and I just upgraded my old MMF2 copy to 2.5!

So, now I'm trying to decide whether I should add the Flash or HTML5 export module. My plan is to embed a simple game to my novel's website -- and that's pretty much it. Compatibility is my main priority because my goal is getting the maximum amount of users possible to play my game (and potentially become more interested in my books). I'd love it to work on mobile devices but it's not critical. My guess is that HTML5 is going to best meet my needs since it can do mobile and is the "future" of browsers so to speak, but I wanted to see if you guys had a different opinion? Are there any advantages to going with Flash?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.... From my point of view, Flash is still pretty much the basic for internet. Though I don't own an HTML5 exporter, cause they didn't have it at the time I bought the flash exporter when it was just new. Though I imagine HTML5 is pretty new. Though if you have enough money for both, may be best to give users the option to choose if they want to visit the flash version of the site, or HTML5 version. That way you wouldn't have to worry about users compatibilities with either one, or if one or the other aren't installed on their PC's.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam,

From what I've noticed, some versions of browsers have problems with HTML5 still (or the HTML5 exporter is incompatible with some). In Chrome HTML5 works perfectly for me, though in waterfox (64 bit firefox variant) i have problems. I haven't tried Firefox or Internet Explorer so can't comment on those, but if a user has an old version of a web browser, then chances are there could be problems.

IMO Flash currently will be more compatible with Desktop and Laptop users, as i'd say majority already have Flash installed and browsers have supported Flash for years and years, but for mobiles HTML5 is obviously the way to go.

Personally I'd go with the HTML5, the performance is great, i exported a windows game i was working on for a test, and it performed flawlessly is HTML5, i was very surprised that i didn't need to change/optimize anything and that it ran perfectly.
    IMO HTML5 is the future, truly cross platform and the Exporter for it is currently being improved and new features added. That being said they're both the cheapest exporters AFAIK, so getting both wouldn't hurt.

Clicker Fusion 2.5HTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'm just not sure I want to pay for both since I've only got the one game planned at this point. Decisions, decisions!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to give you one BIG reason to go for HTML5 and not Flash:

HTML5 exporter Does support Fusion's Physics engine and Accelerometer, while Flash Exporter Does Not. And as you know, physics is a crucial part in any good game.

Compare below the two tables of features for each exporter and judge for yourself:

Flash Exporter (scroll down to the features table)

HTML5 Exporter

And as you said in your post, HTML5 can run on iOS devices, but Flash cannot.

For me, HTML5 without a blink.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML5 app also rune much better when precision in timing are necessary. I have created a musical rythm game in which the player has to play rythmic cells to a metronome pulse. With Flash, there is a very short but annoying lag when the user presses the trigger key for the sound whereas in HTML5, there is no such lag. In general, HTML5 games will seem to run slightly smoother.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree with everything : HTML5 is the future. I am the respoÓnsible for the HTML5 runtime, and I want to implement as many cool features in it as possible. I'm gonna work soon on advertisements in HTML5 : adMob, Clay etc. As much as we can provide.
    We yet support Flash : Fernando is working full time on the Flash exporter for Fusion 2.5, with physics and everything. We hope to release it soon. It is not dead yet.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say go with Flash. HTML 5 is still pretty slow outside of Chrome. Flash is the most compatible.

The Box 2D physics engine is useless unless you plan on using it.
    I've noticed that CF seems to included it regardless if you use it or not which increases the size of the application. At least it does with the iOS runtime. Not sure about HTML 5 though since I haven't bought it yet.