Guidance required for Alex Kidd in Miracle World engine

Welcome to our brand new Clickteam Community Hub! We hope you will enjoy using the new features, which we will be further expanding in the coming months.

A few features including Passport are unavailable initially whilst we monitor stability of the new platform, we hope to bring these online very soon. Small issues will crop up following the import from our old system, including some message formatting, translation accuracy and other things.

Thank you for your patience whilst we've worked on this and we look forward to more exciting community developments soon!

Clickteam.
  • I am planning to create an accurate, modern Please login to see this link. game engine.

I need some guidance with regards to specific aspects of the game.

The following is desirable:

*Coding experience beyond Fusion
    *Able to reverse engineer the original game
    *Familiarity with the original game
    *Fluency in English

I specifically need help with:

*Accurate physics for Alex Kidd; particularly his jump
    *Octopus tentacle movement
    *Seahorse movement
    *Janken match logic
    *How randomness works for things like spawning money

If you think you might be suitable for this job, or know someone who is, please send me a pm.

• Even with the disassembled SMS games available online a lot of the code is unknown. There hasn't been much effort into disassembling Alex Kidd. I think your best bet would be trial and error until you have a movement that feels like the original game. You could always approach lory1990 on romhacking. He is quite active and disassembled a few games

• I happen to be a speedrunner for this game. There's an editor avaiable online called KiddEd which is a level maker for alex kidd in miracle world. it gives a good idea how RNG works into the game for janken fights and everything.

The best option would be to do the physics like our friend above said. Trial and error. I believe we can come with a very approximate physics to the original game. I don't know if can be avaiable right now, but you can carry a long deadline you can contact me on PM and we can discuss details.

Play The Return of Magic Online for FREE! A New Indie, old-school MMORPG made in MMF2: Please login to see this link.

Edited once, last by Mephistus (August 2, 2016 at 1:16 PM).

• As far as I know, AK jump height is based on how long you keep pressed the jump button, you can go really high if you hold the jump button, or you can do really small short jumps.

I would say you have to put a really low deceleration and acceleration, and that's what makes Alex Kidd feels like it weights a ton.
    You have to mess a lot with gravity as well, like I said, it's trial and error. But I believe it's possible to make a very approximate physics to the original game only with Fusion basic physics engine.

Play The Return of Magic Online for FREE! A New Indie, old-school MMORPG made in MMF2: Please login to see this link.

• Your observation about the jump height is correct. My concern is more about the way the game decides how many pixels to move for each frame of the jump. It is not a simple value that diminishes until the jump is exhausted--it is consistently slow until it reaches its peak or you let go of the button.

I don't use the built in movements. I have coded a custom engine that pretty much matches the original, but my jump is basically hard coded, and would need to be coded for each movement (eg jumping when in vehicles). I was hoping to find out how the jump was coded so that I could use some principles to create a jump that is more flexible (eg could be reused for other movements).

• Unfortunately he seems to have PM disabled, so I have no way of getting in touch with him. I haven't seen his engine; the pages I saw about it didn't seem to contain a link to it.. so I have no idea whether it is accurate or not.

UPDATE: I have been able to achieve a Please login to see this link. without brute force (although I still have no idea how the jump in the original was coded). I still need help with a lot of other things though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!